Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fall Trail Riding

Fall is one of my favorite seasons for trail riding.  The summer sun no longer beats down on you, there is a chill in the air, and the leaves are falling on your head.  It is wonderful.  This past Sunday, I went riding with my good friend S. and her borrowed mount Buckshot.  Buckshot is a good old Quarter Horse with a little bit of spunk, and is the exact opposite of my steady mount, Chief.  When the air is cool most horses, like Buckshot get a little extra energy, not Chief, he is always lazy.  So we headed out to see the pond, it had been awhile since S. had been out there so I figured we should go check it out.  We headed out via the Creek Trail, named so because it crosses so many creeks, and then headed up to the old pumpkin field and down to the pond.  It was pretty stunning in the afternoon sun, so I thought I'd include a picture.  I suddenly remembered a trail that went through the strawberry field and with a little effort found it (it had been awhile).  This trail has a super steep hill and Chief being the lazy horse he is, needed some extra encouragement to make it up.  But we crested the hill into the strawberry field and back down to the woods to head back to the barn.  It was a great ride.  You can't beat the trail on a gorgeous fall day with a great friend.

1 comment:

  1. Good picture! Can't wait to read more and learn a little about horses.

    ReplyDelete