Saturday, February 25, 2012

Runaway Horse Part II

So our last ride was another run away ride.  We went out again with T., double trouble A. and A. and with Chase Dodd our resident trainer and ferrier.  Chief was following again and well he was rather bad... But I kept to my guns keeping him back which led to lots of bucking but I held on and we made it through the ride.  I got to take a few pointers by observation from Chase.  He was on a two year old (who behaved better than Chief) that wanted to run up behind the horse in front of her too.  Chase kept side passing her whenever she wanted to take off.  What a great idea!  He kept her feet moving and kept her mind off of the horse in front of her. It worked really well for him.  Now, if only Chief and I could side pass... Something to work on right?  So every time Chief saw the horses take off in front of him, I would hold him back and he would buck.  And he was a bit more ripe than usual.  But the good news was that you knew what to expect and when to expect it making it easier to hang on.  By the end of the ride he had calmed down pretty well.  Thankfully as I've mentioned before Chief lacks stamina.  But it shouldn't have to be that in order to get a well behaved horse, you have to wear them out.  So, next time I decide to do some training, we'll work on side passing.  I can get him to cross over nicely in front, but not the back.  I'll have to get Chase to show me how to teach Chief how to do that.

Chase Dodd is the mastermind behind SOS Horsemanship, check out his website:  http://www.Soshorsemanship.com.  So for those that have a trouble horse, young horse, or are interested in clinics, you'll have to check him out.  He is also a great ferrier!

So sorry there are no pictures from this ride, my hands were rather busy the whole time.  I plan to go out tomorrow though and I'll take some pictures for you then.  It should be good weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment